family

family

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Basketball Update...

The Preston Super League for basketball came to a very emotional end yesterday afternoon.


Olivia's team faced Westside first thing in the morning and were defeated by three points after 36 minutes of play. This loss dropped them into the consolation bracket where they took on the Cats from Skyview and easily handed them a loss. The win however, was somewhat bittersweet for them, still upset over their first loss that morning. Overall, they ended their season 7-5. I feel that this year has definately been a huge year of growth in skills for Olivia. At the end of the day they were given another chance to pull together as a team and look forward to more games. Their coach has asked them to play in another league in Smithfield, where once again they will face many of the teams that gave them a challenge over the past few weeks. Hopefully, they can hold their heads high, learn from the loss, and be determined to be better than ever. Way to play this season Preston 8th grade!

Shaylee's team made it all the way to the championship game on Saturday afternoon. They first played the Malad Green team and easily took it to them. Then, they faced the Soda 6th grade team, it wasn't always pretty, but the girls played with heart and came out ahead by only a few points. However, once again they faced the 5th grade Soda team in the championship game. I am not sure exactly what happens when they play this team, but they all of a sudden entered an emotional battle on the court. Unfortunately, Soda held it together and prevailed knocking Preston to the second place team. This was a tough loss to take, with tears and frustration among the girls. However, by the end of the night they had decided that they were ready to take this team on again, this time in Soda and their hosted tournament and show them they know how to play ball. I hope their determination sticks with them and they come out on top the next ball game. They finished the league 9-3, way to have a winning season Preston 6th grade!

I think through all of the day's happening some valuable lessons were learned. When I walked away from Olivia's game we talked about how you just have to take something good from the loss and remember it to make you better in the next game. Shaylee and some friends also made the comment, that even when the crowd is trying to get into your head and maybe the calls aren't going your way, you have to step it up and let that emotion be to your advantage. Yes, I too got caught up in the moment and questioned calls made/not made and my emotions took over. Last night reflecting on what happened I realized that I can't make a difference by becoming an obnoxious fan, and what kind of example am I setting, what kind of opinion are others forming because of my actions? It truly bothered me that I got caught up in the commenting and I had to really take a moment to reflect on how I want to be as a parent and spectator. Sometimes hard lessons learned are the ones we remember most.

Here's to more basketball...

No comments:

Post a Comment