family

family

Thursday, December 29, 2011

CHRISTmas

Christmas morning dawned EARLY for us this year. Because Christmas was on Sunday, and we needed to get as early as start as possible to Shelley, we decided to go to Rick and Rose's sacrament meeting at 9 AM. Therefore, Christmas started at 6:00 AM! We started with a healthy Christmas breakfast of waffles, sausage, bacon, and eggs. YUMMY! Then the gifts were attacked!

Santa stopped by our house, but didn't leave what was expected. At first this was pretty hard for Shaylee, who for the second year in a row had her heart set on an iPod touch. Olivia and Shaylee have been begging to go to the mall to get shellac for their nails. I am not a fan of paying someone every time I need my nails done, so I put a bug in Santa's ear and he delivered. They received all they need to not only do shellac nails, but also glitter toes! I am sure over the next week, and through trial and error lots of polish will be applied as they try to figure out the perfect system.

Taite too was surprised by Santa when he received his long awaited for blue guitar! He immediately wanted to play it, but we had to wait until I could figure out the tuner, because it was painfully out of tune. By the end of Christmas day he 3 simple chords down and was strumming away.

Electronics took the back seat this year at our Christmas. Dave and I just aren't ready to dive into the cell phones, ipod touches, and x-box 360's so we are glad Santa understood and helped us out by still helping make this a super happy Christmas.

After opening gifts we headed to church, where we were reminded of the importance of the Christmast season. As I reflected on the beautiful music, conducted by Rose, and listened to the inspirational talks, I was full of gratitude that we could take that hour out of the traditional, worldly Christmas day and feel the true spirit as we renewed our covenants and were reminded of the true meaning of Christmas.

We then were in a rush to get to Shelley. My dad reminds me yearly, "The year we don't show up Christmas Day is the year I am disowned." I wouldn't miss Christmas at my parents' home for anything! It is so fun for the cousins to be able to exchange gifts, while the adults play an upgraded version of white elephant gift giving. Then, of course there is the FOOD! One of the many things I appreciate about my mom is the time she puts in to cook such delicious meals for us! I also appreciate that she passed on the know-how of cooking to me.

Sadly, this is the first year I can remember that my Grandpa and Grandma Dehlin were unable to join us Christmas Day. My grandpa was not feeling well and Grandma didn't feel comfortable leaving him home alone. They were certainly missed, so the next day we all loaded up and headed to their house to celebrate a little Christmas with them. This brough back vivid memories of when I was small and on Christmas Day we would head from Shelley to Idaho Falls in the late afternoon to go see grandpa and grandma to share with them Christmas evening. I don't really remember when thay started coming to my dad and mom's house for Christmas, but I do cherish the memories of them always sharing Christmas with us. My grandmother is another example of one who lights with joy as she gives her gifts, and I think that has helped me realize that it isn't just about buying someone something, but it is about really thinking about the person you are buying for. Also, my grandpa and his yearly flashlight gifts are a true precious memory for me.

Thanks for all the memories that we will be able to hold onto through the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment