Olivia and Dave have just returned from the Franklin Stake Trek that the young men and young women ages 14+. From the momen Olivia heard about it she was insistant that she was NOT going to participate. I am finding one thing out about Olivia, and that is that the unknown makes her very nervous. If it is out of her comfort zone she is headstrong enough to refuse to do it. In many ways this is a great qulity, however it also can be an inhibitor to experiences that she might enjoy. We tried convince her that she would be fine going because Dave also had been asked to go. He was going to be serving as part of the equipment staff with the rest of the Stake Young Men's Presidency. Even up to the moment Olivia was dropped off at the church she was dragging her heels. It was pretty tough for me to insist on her going when I could see in her eyes how truly bad she did not want to participate. As soon as she left I started praying that the experience she had would soften her heart and help her feel the spirit as she had a small taste of the sacrifices our ancestors endured.
Dave shared his feelings with me as well and said that he kind of felt like as equipment help that he missed out on a lot of the spiritual times. He said he found himself thinking often of the sacrifices that had been made so the gospel could grow. He also was greatful he was there to share the moments with Olivia.
Kind of like Olivia, I haven't ever had a desire to go on the trek. In fact, each time they are starting to talk about going I start hoping I don't get asked. However, as I watched Olivia interact and share stories with Dylan, and listened to others talk of the experiences they had a small part of me wondered what it would be like to have that experience.

No comments:
Post a Comment