So I finally have a child who has a passion for running like I do. Shaylee decided to join the Preston Junior High cross country team because they weren't sure what they were doing with volleyball for this fall. After three weeks of practice and training she attended her first meet in Pocatello. I have experienced many running events in my life. However, when it is your child and not you particpating it takes on a whole new meaning.
The night before she was so nervous! The morning of she was So nervous!! The afternoon of she was SO nervous!!! Dave and I arrived at the event just as the high school boys were finishing....many of them came stumbling across the finish line some staggering off, others spitting, some losing their lunch. Shaylee in the meantime was telling us about one of the high school girls that passed out just as she crossed the finish line. She made the comment, "I sure hope that doesn't happen to me."
The 1-mile course was very difficult so she set a goal to run it in 10 minutes. Her fastest time trial on the track was right at 7:00 minutes. As they lined-up at the start line you could tell she was just a little insecure. When the gun went off she turned around to look for her friend and then all of a sudden she was gone. As we watched from across the course we were so excited when we saw she was the first girl in the pack. We slowly watched her lead change when two other girls passed her on the uphill stretch. Then as she hit the top of the hill and headed down to the finish line her form changed, but she passed one of the girls and was inching up on the other one. As I was watching her run in I was thinking, "What the heck is she doing, she is wobbling all over the place." Just as she passed me I saw her eyes roll back in the back of her head, and she swerved into a runner next to her. As I am watching her struggle to the finish line I heard one of the race directors yell, "Don't let her fall, don't let her fall." I watched my 12-year old girl fight her way to the finish line and as she crossed she crumpled to the ground. As we jumped into action Dave and I supported her out of the way and tried to get her to respond. Her eyes continued to roll back and her head was lolling back and forth. Many people were there to help, thanks Grandma Donna for calmly stepping in. After what seemed like forever, but truly was only about 10 minutes she started to come to and respond. Thank heavens she was okay! Not only was she okay, but she finished the extremely difficult course in 8:40, a minute and twenty seconds faster than her goal and got second place overall!
After she returned back to Preston with the team I asked her if she still wanted to run. Her response, "Heck yes, next week in Soda I am going to win the whole thing!" I am sure with her attitude she can do it too.
Olivia, who has never been big on the idea of running, I think has been ruined for life. Her response, "And you think running is fun?" Pretty sure she will be sticking with soccer :).
Way to go Shaylee Girl, you are awesome!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment