family

family

Friday, January 25, 2013

Happy Birthday, Mom

My mom's birthday is on January 19th, and Olivia just happened to have a basketball game in Rigby that night.  We decided we would travel to Rigby and invite the family out for a night of ball games (just what every grandma wants to do on her birthday I am sure).  Olivia's team up to this point had only lost 4 games, all except one of them by a very close margin.  All of their other games had been won by a large margin, and we were hoping for the same going into this game.  Every time they had a win I would text my parents to let them know how far they beat the opposing team. Long story short the Preston Indian lost to the Riby Trojans by 2 points after a 2 hour and 45 minute, 4 over time game!  Yes, it was well worth our money.  Yes, it was intense.  Yes, I had a very embarrassing moment when I came up out of the stand ready to take a ref on when he didn't notice my daughter get punched in the stomach.  Yes, we all will remember this game.  Not sure my parents will ever believe two things: 

1.  I really am quite mellow when it comes to watching my kids play sports.  I also, usually give the ref the benefit of the doubt.
2. That Olivia's team really did beat most of other teams by 20+ points. 

Anyway, at the end of the game I had a special gift for my mom.  Over Christmas my parents had moved a bunch of my grandparents' things into their home that they inherited when my grandfather passed away.  In my old bedroom is a little curio cabinet that my grandma had in her yellow bedroom, where I got to sleep when I visited.  From when I was little I can remembering giggling because "my grandma had a dammit doll, and I couldn't imagine my classy grandma saying that naughty word".  As I have grown and hopefully matured a bit I often think of my grandma and the many things I learned from her, and her dammit doll frequently comes to mind.  When I saw the cabinet I commented that something was missing, and told my mom about the memory of the dammit doll.  She couldn't remember it so I took matters into my own hands and bought her one.  Sometimes there are just days when that doll could be useful, maybe I need to buy myself one.  Happy Birthday, Mom!  And thanks Grandma for the memories.





No comments:

Post a Comment