The best news for this month was that on August 2nd Olivia was able to remove her boots, for good, and move to the next step of recovery...ankle braces. She will need to wear the braces for four weeks, just missing being able to take them off before school starts. She can also start being a little more active, swimming and riding a bicycle, plus she started physical therapy on the 2nd and will continue with that for the next four weeks.
This month brought an abundance of yard work and gardening. I can't believe how huge all of the plants in the garden are this year. We are certainly being blessed with beautiful weather and excellent growing conditions.
This month also brought 4-H projects to complete. Olivia didn't really want to do 4-H this year. However, she did do a cooking project with Shaylee using frozen bread dough. We had yummy cinnamon twists, pizza, Navajo tacos, and scones. Shaylee also completed a fun with paper project. She made a basketball pinata and a picture frame. The basketball turned out so cool! She also did a spa day and a 4-H sleepover at the extension office. At home she experimented with string art. All of their projects received blue ribbons at the county fair and were sent to the state fair as well.
Dave and Taite entered pictures and produce in the fair again this year. One of the pictures Taite took of an owl received sweepstakes for his division. Dave also received two honorable mentions with one of his photos. The kids all enjoy going and taking pictures with him. Olivia has told us many times that she wants to pursue being a photographer. At the fair a lady from the community noticed Dave's photos and introduced him to a man that has published books of his photography. Dave said it was very interesting and educational to meet with him.
Also, in August came back-to-school. I think we were all ready this year to go back because summer was so uneventful. Olivia couldn't wait to get back! I think she really felt like she missed out on a lot this summer. Taite will be in the same school as me this year, in the third grade. Olivia and Shaylee will both be at the junior high in eighth and sixth grade. I can't believe how quickly time is going. I was a little bit overwhelmed with the thought that both of my girls were finished with grade school, not to mention next year I will have a child in high school! Yikes, where does the time go.

The last weekend of August I was able to participate in a relay with my friend DeeDee. It was called the Brown Dirt Relay in Eagle Moutain. It was a first time event, with only six teams of four signing up. It was a very hot day to run, but the route was great. It was probably one of my favorite runs because it was all trail and took me off the asphalt. I am definitely still very out of shape and was extremely slow, but it was fun to take a couple of days and do what I truly love. Dave and I are still doing Crossfit as well. It has physically challenged me beyond what I have been challenged for a very long time, but I must say I really am seeing results. I actually feel like I have a little muscle starting to show up.

With the end of summer and school starting comes the beginning of fall sports. Shaylee will be playing volleyball in a rec league through the middle of October, Olivia will be supporting her soccer team as they play through mid-October, and Taite said he would like to play soccer this year. Here we go....bring on the ball season.

No comments:
Post a Comment